Capt. Dave Lear’s AK Blog
Please welcome Capt. Dave Lear who will be covering the event and posting photos each day. Capt. Dave Lear has been covering big-game fishing for more than two decades, first as the editor of Marlin magazine and later as an award-winning freelance writer and tournament correspondent. The former executive director of The Billfish Foundation was also the 51st angler to gain membership in the IGFA’s exclusive Royal Billfish Slam Club by catching and releasing all nine species of billfish. Learn more about Dave at www.captaindavelear.com.
Keep in mind that official scores will not be posted until after 9PM on Sunday. TWITTER INFORMATION AND WEB CAM WEIGH INS ARE FOR ENTERTAINMENT VALUE ONLY! We are welcoming back Tournament Control to score our event and as the rules state teams won’t actually earn points until they turn their scorecard in (on time) and it is accepted by tournament staff.
August 11, 2019; Manteo, North Carolina: The ladies really know how to celebrate an anniversary. The 30th annual Alice Kelly Memorial Ladies Only Billfish Tournament wrapped up Sunday evening with a fanfare of trophies and recognition for a special day on the water. Blessed by pleasant weather and light winds, the 106 teams released 50 […]Read More
August 10, 2019; Manteo, North Carolina: Pink feathers, balloons and bras are not the normal accents for battle-hardened sport-fishers. But the Alice Kelly Memorial Ladies Only Billfish Tournament is not your typical sport-fishing contest. Named after a passionate local angler and victim of breast cancer, this memorial event draws dozens of teams for a single […]Read More
A last minute decision to compete in the 29th annual Alice Kelly Memorial Ladies Only Billfish Tournament paid off for Off Duty, a 80 Viking run by Capt. Mike Everly. The all-female angler team released two white marlin, a sailfish and finally a blue marlin at 2:37 Sunday afternoon to add an extra 50 points, […]Read More
Fishing is fun. It’s a combination of skills and a shared outdoor pursuit in a unique, mesmerizing environment. It’s the electric jolt that comes with every hook-up and the satisfaction of conquering a worthy adversary after a spirited battle. It is a universal sport that knows no age limitations or gender bias. And yet it […]Read More
The fishing wasn’t exactly on fire for the 28th annual Alice Kelly Memorial Ladies Only Billfish Tournament. The record 97 boats competing had to search hard in their efforts to find fish. Some ventured as far as 70 miles south while others ran due east from Oregon Inlet about 30 miles. In the end though, […]Read More
By Capt. Dave Lear August 12, 2017; Manteo, North Carolina: Most big game tournaments would be absolutely thrilled to have nearly 100 boats competing in their event. So when 97 sign up to fish a one-day, ladies contest, it’s big news indeed. But the Alice Kelly Memorial Ladies Only Billfish Tournament is not just any […]Read More
Gold Cup Contest
to benefit the Get Pinked Program and Cancer Screenings at the Outer Banks Hospital
- Each entrant must pay the $100 fee and return the Entry Form.
- Artists may use any medium to decorate their bra.
- You may decorate the straps, cups and band
- Bras must be delivered to the Pirate’s Cove Pavilion on Friday, Friday, August 12 or Saturday, August 13 by 3PM. Any completed bras will be picked up from the entrant prior to August 4. Please call for pick up or any other delivery time.
- The Entries will be judged by the participants of the 27th Annual Alice Kelly Memorial Ladies Only Billfish Tournament. Participants (and guests) will donate money specifically for their favorite bra. At the Awards Banquet on Sunday, August 14 the donations will be counted and the most donations will win the perpetual trophy to be returned next year.
- All proceeds from the donations and entry sales will go to the cancer screening programs at the Outer Banks Hospital.
Many Thanks to Charlotte’s Ladies’ Boutique on Shallowbag Bay for sponsoring the Inaugural Alice Kelly Gold Cup Contest!
Contact Heather Maxwell, Tournament Director, for more information at [email protected] or 252-305-3610